Even though hamburgers originated in Europe, in Hamburg, Germany, to be precise, the first McDonald's restaurant saw the light of day in the United States in 1937, with brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald as its driving force. Their meeting with Ray Kroc, founder of the brand and none other than their milk supplier, brought a breath of fresh air into their small business.
Find out more
McDonald's Belgium, that's:
- 100 McDonald's restaurants*
- More than 5,000 employees*
- Every day, 69,000 meals are served in our restaurants**
- An important employer for young people in Belgium: 55% of our employees are under 25 years old*
- More than 90% of managers began their careers as restaurant employees*
- On average, 40 employees per restaurant
- 93,900 training hours a year for our employees
- 100% green energy
- 98% of the food articles served in McDonald's restaurants in Belgium in 2012, were produced in Europe.
* Data McDonald’s Belgium 2020
** Data McDonald’s Belgium 2019
Flavour, quality, food safety and hygiene. To guarantee those every single day, McDonald's needs reliable "partners". Because that's what our suppliers really are—partners. We work hand in glove with our partners to ensure we use only high-quality ingredients selected with care.
As much as possible, McDonald's buys its ingredients from Belgian suppliers or in our
neighbouring countries, who in turn get their supplies from local farmers. For example, all our buns are baked in Olen, and the ice cream and milkshakes come from Friesland Campina in Lummen. But there's another huge plus: by limiting long-distance transport, we reduce carbon emissions.
McDonald's and its suppliers select the products based on extremely rigorous criteria. The 100 % pure beef in McDonald's Belgium burger patties is cut from the chuck. To comply with the highest quality requirements, numerous checks are carried out, not just in our restaurants but also at our suppliers. These quality checks are carried out unannounced, by both internal and external parties.